Saturday, September 24, 2011

30 Day (Minute) Book Challenge


A friend of mine tagged me in this 30 Day Book Challenge on Facebook and I thought it would be fun to fill out. I was supposed to wait and answer one of these a day... but I decided instead I would try to answer them all under 30 minutes because I have ADHD and that's just how I roll.

I was also supposed to put this on Facebook in my Notes and tag 30 friends, but I switched to the new Timeline and I can't figure out where Notes is anymore. #FacePalm

Here goes...

Day 1: Favorite book – “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” by Douglas Adams

Day 2: Least favorite book: I’ve never finished a book I don’t like.

Day 3: Book that makes you laugh out loud: “Restaurant by the End of the Universe” by Douglas Adams

Day 4: Book that makes you cry: “Watchers” by Stephen King

Day 5: Book you wish you could live in: A romance… pretty much any of them. :P

Day 6: Favorite young adult book: “Emotional Intelligence” by Daniel Goleman – not a young adult book but every young adult should read it.

Day 7: Book that you can quote/recite: “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Dr. Stephen R. Covey

Day 8: Book that scares you: “Intensity” by Dean Kontz

Day 9: Book that makes you sick: Can't think of any.

Day 10: Book that changed your life: “Shortcut to a Miracle”

Day 11: Book from your favorite author: “So Long and Thanks for all the Fish” by Douglas Adams

Day 12: Book that is most like your life: “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare” :P

Day 13: Book whose main character is most like you: I’m not sure but it would be fun to hear what other people suggest.

Day 14: Book whose main character you want to marry: “Burr” by Gore Vidal

Day 15: First “chapter book” you can remember reading as a child: It was something with vampires. I read a LOT of vampire novels in my youth.

Day 16: Longest book you’ve read: Probably the book I’m reading now, “Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid” by Douglas R. Hofstader

Day 17: Shortest book you’ve read: “Plato: Dialogues”

Day 18: Book you’re most embarrassed to say you like: Can't think of any.

Day 19: Book that turned you on: "Delta of the Venus" by Anis Nin

Day 20: Book you’ve read the most number of times: "Are you my Mother" by Dr. Seuss (with the voices)

Day 21: Favorite picture book from childhood: “Where’s Waldo”

Day 22: Book you plan to read next: “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand

Day 23: Book you tell people you’ve read, but haven’t (or haven’t actually finished) I’ve never told someone I’ve read something I haven’t read.

Day 24: Book that contains your favorite scene: Cant remember the name of the book now but it was a biography of Aaron Burr. The scene was when Burr was in the Revolutionary War and sliced off an unruly soldiers arm to make a point. Bad. Ass.

Day 25: Favorite book you read in school: “Theories of Human Communication” by Littlejohn and Foss

Day 26: Favorite nonfiction book: “Age of Abundance: How Prosperity Transformed America’s Politics and Culture” by Brink Lindsey

Day 27: Favorite fiction book: “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” by Douglas Adams

Day 28: Last book you read: "Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World" by John Robins

Day 29: Book you’re currently reading: I’m reading two, “The Evolution of Cooperation” by Robert Axelrod and “Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid” by Douglas R. Hofstader

Day 30: Favorite coffee table book: Atlas of the Universe

3 comments:

  1. The scene is from the book "Aaron Burr: Portrait of an ambitious man." (I wrote a research paper about Aaron Burr for my American History class.)

    Here is the scene!

    "A detachment of militia had been sent to defend a narrow pass known as the Gulf, situated about 8 miles from Valley Forge. Soldiers with a misguided sense of humor had been sending, night after night, false alarms that the enemy was on the march, thereby alerting the sleeping camp.

    Burr took over the command of the post and initiated a series of reforms that were received with ill-concealed distaste by the capricious personnel. This new regime inspired the detachment to make plans for revenge pas that included disposing of their new commander.

    Once he discovered the plan, Burr went into action. First, he had all cartages removed from their guns. Then, as the moon shone on the cap through a frosty night, the entire detachment was awakened and formed in the cold for a muster roll call. Armed with only a sharp saber, the little Colonel inspected the lines of his troops, marching up to each man and looking him straight in the eye as he passed. When he stood before one of the chief mutineers, the guilty soldier stepped from the ranks, aimed his gun at him, shooting, “Now is your time, boys.” Resolutely, and with calm determination, Burr raised his saber and, with one stroke, sliced the arm of the unfortunate mutineer above the elbow so that it dangled by a strip of skin from his shoulder. Summarily, Burr dismissed the men. The soldiers arm was amputated the next day, and threats against Burr ceased along with the false alarms."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love LOVE!!! Douglas Adams is your favorite author?!?! I could trade quotes with you ALL DAY!!! Did you know he was great friends with the members of Pink Floyd?! My favorite author was Stephen King, and I almost put one of his books as my favorite, but I figured I'd list him enough.

    LOVE your list! I will also be thinking of the female character who most reminds me of you because to be honest, you are a FASCINATING character, Shannon! No joke. If I was to write a story that had an ensemble cast, you would be one of the characters. =) I'll get back to you on that.

    This RULES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hitchhickers guide to the galaxy!

    Great book list. Great way of listing them.

    'so long and thanks for all the fish' :-)

    ReplyDelete